July 31st is National Mutt's Day. That makes it the perfect day to adopt a mixed breed dog from your local shelter. Adopting a dog and bringing home the new member of the family is a joyous occasion as you begin your new lifelong bond with your new pet. Perhaps you have already decided to adopt a dog from a shelter, but you are not sure about getting a mixed breed.
Here’s why mutts can make the best pets.
- You’ll have a unique dog
- You’ll save a life
- You’ll make space for another dog at the shelter
- You’ll improve the dog’s life
- You’ll gain a new best friend
- Mixed breed dogs are healthier
- You’ll help discourage purebred puppy mills
- You’ll have a wider selection
- You’ll save money
- You’ll be much happier
But keep in mind that many mutts suffer from trauma or lack of training, so, like any dog, they will need time to adapt. Be patient and give them your love and affection and you will soon realize that you have gained a friend for life!